AREF-MRC Towards Leadership Programme 2023 for African Scientists
The purpose of the AREF-MRC Towards Leadership Programme 2023 for African Scientists is to give African scientists the tools and resources they need to secure UKRI MRC and other major funding for their global health research. The fellowship is investing in the growth of African scientific talent, helping them to develop their research and leadership capabilities.
The AREF-MRC Towards Leadership Programme 2023 will span from October 2023 to October 2024, featuring two in-person workshops (one at the start and one at the end) and one virtual workshop. The curriculum is crafted to bolster, animate and upgrade the skills of the participants and give African rising scientists the tools they need to compete with their counterparts for UKRI MRC and other major grant funding opportunities in global health research. The programme focuses on helping them secure grants, form successful teams, collaborate across borders, impact stakeholders, and create successful research careers.
Eligibility for the AREF-MRC Towards Leadership Programme 2023 for African Scientists:
- Applicants must be a citizen of a country in Africa.
- Applicants must currently be employed in Africa by a recognised university and/or specialist research institution.
- Applicants must be early career researchers, having completed their research education and are now at the early stages of leading their own research group.
- Applicants must possess either a research doctorate (PhD/DPhil/MD) from a recognised institution that was received within the last 10 years OR a medical/clinical qualification and a research-relevant Master’s degree, also received within the last 10 years. If it has been more than 10 years since your last degree, please explain in your application why you are still considered an early career researcher (e.g. due to a career break or change or caring responsibilities).
- Applicants must currently be responsible for managing/supervising one or more research students and/or research staff members and are involved in building research collaborations.
- Applicants must demonstrate evidence of being at the early stages of leading a research team or being an active member of a research team conducting Global Health Research.
- A significant part of your current employee role is to develop and conduct health research.
- Applicants must already have experience in obtaining research funding (Combined value of £500,000 or less).
Programme Details for the AREF-MRC Towards Leadership Programme 2023 for African Scientists:
The Programme comprises the following elements:
- Three inspiring and practical blended workshops at six-monthly intervals
- Supplementary webinars, tutorials and online resources
- Baseline and end-of-programme assessments and evaluation
- Collaboration between participating individuals
The Programme is designed with the following themes to suit the requirements of each cohort:
- The Researcher As Leader is aimed at helping learners understand and excel in a complex world while enhancing their self-awareness, mindfulness, coaching skills, influence, and overall leadership abilities.
- The Effective Researcher is helping individuals gain the skills to plan their career paths and grow their abilities through personal development planning, time management, and mentorship.
- The Researcher As Communicator is focused on helping individuals develop their leadership, authorship, and authority skills by teaching them how to effectively present, tell stories, and communicate their research to research users, thus increasing their engagement.
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate an understanding of funders, honed proposal development and writing skills from formulating a research question to drafting both concept notes and full proposals, data sharing protocols, the peer review process, and how to prepare for fellowship interviews.
- The Researcher As Manager builds a successful team by fostering effective collaboration, planning for implementation, working with Research Support and Finance departments, managing a budget, and protecting intellectual property.
Application Deadline: May 12, 2023.
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.