TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023-2024 for Developing Countries
The World Academy of Sciences which stands for TWAS in partnership with the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Ministry of Science and Technology in India are pleased to invite applicants from developing countries who wish to further their scope of research to enroll for their ongoing Postgraduate fellowship programme for the 2023-2024 academic session.
The fellowship program is tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years. and applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India. To help candidates in their choice of a suitable host institution a list of biotechnology institutes in India is available here: List_Biotechn_India.pdf. However, candidates are free to choose an Indian biotechnology institution that does not appear on the list. And DBT will also provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
For applicants who registered for PhD in their home country are to enroll for the SANDWICH Fellowships which may be granted for a minimum period of 12 months and a maximum period of 2 years. While those that didn’t register for a PhD in their home country are to join the FULL-TIME Fellowships which is often granted for an initial period of up to 3 years. Such Fellowships may then be extended for a further 2 years, subject to the student’s performance. Candidates will register for their PhD at a university in India. DBT will confirm any such extensions to both TWAS and the candidate.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): TWAS and DBT
Host Institution(s): Not specified
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Duration: 3 to 5 years
Nationality: Developing Countries
Language of instruction: English
Requirements and eligibility criteria for the 2023/24 TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme;
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be a national of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships, be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university; OR
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships, be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Application Process for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023-2024 (How To Apply);
Interested and applicants who meets the above requirements and eligibility criteria for this opportunity are expected to submit their application using the Online Portal on or before the deadline.
Application Deadline: 15 September 2022
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.