TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 for Developing Countries
The National Research Foundation which stands for NRF In South Africa have joined alongside the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and TWAS to dish out broadcast about their ongoing TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme for the 2022-2023 session, and it’s focused on developing countries.
The TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship program have been invoke for more than a decade now, helping young leaders by exposing them to their research institutions in South Africa. The programme is expected to run for about 3 years, after which they are awarded scientist and opens more opportunities into furthering their PhD research in the natural sciences.
The fellowship programme is applicable for candidates in the science and engineering discipline to take up a study research in SA. Awarded candidates under TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowships will be provided Partial Cost of Study (PCS) funding and this will only cover tuition fees (R30 000 per annum) and accommodation costs (R60 000 per annum) for a maximum of R90 000 per annum per student. Additionally, the NRF will cover cheapest return economy flight and the visa and/or study permit costs for TWAS-NRF doctoral awarded candidates.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): TWAS and South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF)
Host Institution(s): South Africa’s National Research Foundation
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Doctoral
Duration: Up to 3 years
Nationality: Developing countries
Requirements and eligibility criteria for the 2022 TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme
- Interested applicant must be a citizen and permanent residents from developing countries on the African continent and elsewhere.
- Interested applicant must not be living, studying or working in South Africa in 2022;
- Interested applicants who were previously employed or studying towards a degree, or undertaking research in South Africa, and have returned to their country of origin, but have been in their country of origin for less than two (2) years, are not eligible to apply;
- Interested applicant must have obtained an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences;
- Interested applicant must have obtained minimum of 65% at the masters’ level in order to apply for doctoral funding;
- Interested applicant must register at a South African public university in 2022, on a full-time basis and may be based at any South African public research institution including Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), Science Councils and National Research Facilities;
- Interested applicant must be a maximum of 32 years of age by 31 December of the year of application.
- Interested applicant must have proof of evaluation of all foreign qualifications (obtained from non-South African universities) evaluated by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA) or proof that the applicant has submitted his/her qualifications to SAQA for evaluation.
- Interested applicant must meet visa and immigration laws of the applicant’s home country and South Africa.
- Interested applicant must return to their country of origin upon completion of their studies.
- Interested applicant are only eligible to pursue research under Science, Engineering and Technology (SET) disciplines.
- Interested applicant must not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Interested applicant must provide an official proof of study application and/or acceptance letter from a host South African institution, department or laboratory;
- Interested applicant must provide a motivation from the prospective doctoral supervisor.
- Interested applicant must provide English language proficiency certificate (if available at the time of the application).
- Interested applicant must present a detailed research project that must be registered and approved by the host institution and provide a letter of support from the prospective host supervisor;
- Interested applicant must provide an official academic record on the university letterhead.
Application Process for the TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022
Interested applicants who meets all the above criteria are expected to contact institutions in South Africa or potential supervisors to obtain a placement into the programme. The programmes can only be accessed using the NRF Online application system.
Application Deadline: 8 July 2022
For more details about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.