Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2024 for Least Developed Countries
Suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their applications for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships for the 2024/25 academic year. These scholarships are specifically intended for individuals hailing from the least developed countries and fragile States within the Commonwealth. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to pursue full-time doctoral studies at a university in the United Kingdom.
Supported by funding from the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), Commonwealth PhD scholarships play a vital role in addressing the developmental requirements of Commonwealth nations. These scholarships are designed to bolster research endeavors that can bring about a tangible developmental influence.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO)
Host Institution(s): UK Universities
Scholarship Worth: Fully Funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: Students from low-income Commonwealth Countries
Eligibility for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2024 for Least Developed Countries:
- Applicants must be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person.
- Applicants must be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country.
- Applicants must be available to start academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2024.
- Applicants must by September 2024, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree).
- Applicants must NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university or in your home country before September/October 2024.
- Applicants must be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
- Applicants must have provided all supporting documentation in the required format.
Method of Application for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2024 for Least Developed Countries:
Prospective candidates for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships for the 2024/25 academic year should fill out an online application through the CSC’s designated online application platform. Additionally, candidates are required to apply to one of the nominating agencies listed below, in addition to submitting an application to the CSC. These nominating agencies will then proceed to recommend candidates to the CSC for further consideration.
- National nominating agencies – this is the main route of application.
- Selected universities/university bodies – which can nominate their own academic staff
- Selected non-governmental organizations and charitable bodies.
Each nominating agency manages its distinct selection process and may introduce supplementary eligibility requirements. Therefore, it is essential for candidates to liaise with the nominating agency to obtain precise guidance, application procedures, and eligibility criteria that are specific to their situation. It’s important to note that nominating agencies might establish their own deadlines for application submissions.
- Proof that the applicant is a citizen or has refugee status in an eligible Commonwealth country: a copy of a valid passport (or national ID card) showing a photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship
- Full transcripts detailing all higher education qualifications, including to-date transcripts for any courses currently being studied, with certified translations if not in English
- References from at least two individuals on institutional letterhead
- Supporting statement on institutional letterhead from a proposed supervisor in the UK from at least one of the institutions named on the application form.
Application Deadline: October 17, 2023.
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.