Astronomy in Africa Scholarships 2023/2024 Application
The International Astronomical Union often shortened as IAU in collaboration with major African institutions are pleased to welcomes applications with high intellectual backings to take a chance on their ongoing Astronomy in Africa Scholarships 2023/2024 Application.
The scholarship program is a fully funded scheme for African students with other benefits like living expenses and stipends throughout their study duration. The award is several and opened to applicants pursuing their Masters Degree program in African institution. The scholarships will allow excellent candidates to undertake a two-year Master of Science (MSc) degree in South Africa starting in 2023.
In anticipation of the 32nd General Assembly, the National Organising Committee of the IAU GA2024 seeks to award high impact “Astronomy in Africa” scholarships to eligible African candidates that aligns with the hosting of this historical event.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): International Astronomical Union (IAU)
Host Institution(s): Recognized South African Universities
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Master of Science (MSc)
Nationality: African Students
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) will host its 32nd General Assembly in Cape Town, South Africa, in 2024 (GA2024). This is the first time in the 100+ year history of the IAU that the General Assembly will be held in Africa, which provides a prime opportunity to showcase the cutting-edge research infrastructure and excellent talent in the science area on the continent.
Applicants will be shortlisted based on academic grades, quality of motivation, suitability for research as assessed through reference letter and CV, and the associated letter of support from the potential supervisor. Diversity and regional representation will be taken into account during the shortlisting process. Preference will be given to non-South African applicants.
Requirements and eligibility Criteria for the 2023 Astronomy in Africa Scholarships;
- Candidates from any African country are eligible to apply for Astronomy in Africa scholarships.
- Applicants must be eligible to register for an MSc degree at a South African university specialising in astrophysics/astronomy.
- Candidates must have liaised with potential supervisors from recognised South African universities.
- Potential supervisors must provide an accompanying letter of support for the candidate, which includes a brief statement of the proposed research project
- International student fees
- One international return flight
- Visa costs
- Medical insurance,
- Accommodation, and
In addition, scholarship recipients will benefit from the opportunity to volunteer at the General Assembly 2024, giving them an opportunity to interact with the global astronomy community.
Application Procedures for the Astronomy in Africa Scholarships 2023/2024 Application (How to Apply):
Interested applicants who meets the above requirements and eligibility criteria for this scholarship opportunity are expected follow the below steps in order to attain a successful application;
2. Arrange to have one reference letter to be sent directly to email@example.com, by the application deadline, and with your name in the subject line.
3. Candidates must submit a motivation and upload a CV (maximum of 2-pages, 12-pt font), recent academic transcripts and a scan of their undergraduate degree certificate.
4. Candidates must upload a letter of support from their potential supervisor. The letter must include a brief statement of the proposed research project.
Application Deadline: October 07, 2022
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.