PhD Research Position (Faculty of Law and Criminology) at Ghent University
The Faculty of Law and Criminology at Ghent University is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals for a Ph.D. Research Position. The successful candidate will focus on exploring the rights of individuals in relation to the secondary utilization of health data for research, taking into account the relevant regulatory frameworks.
The Ph.D. researcher will be affiliated with the Faculty of Law and Criminology at Ghent University and will also be a member of the interdisciplinary Metamedica Platform. To learn more about the Metamedica platform, please visit the official portal.
The Ph.D. student will delve into the examination of individual rights within the context of utilizing health data for research purposes, specifically focusing on secondary uses. This investigation will be carried out considering the relevant regulatory frameworks in place. Specifically, the Ph.D. researcher is expected to identify and evaluate the pertinent provisions within the EU’s regulatory frameworks, such as the GDPR, the forthcoming Data Governance Act, and the European Health Data Space. These Ph.D. scholarship provisions aim to enhance the rights of individuals during the processing of their data for research purposes. The legal analysis should be grounded in the appropriate theoretical framework that encompasses the principles of transparency, fairness, and lawfulness in the processing of health data.
Ghent University is a renowned academic institution located in Ghent, Belgium. It is one of the leading universities in Europe and is known for its high-quality education, research, and innovation. The university offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs across various fields of study, including arts and humanities, sciences, engineering, social sciences, medicine, and more. Ghent University is committed to providing a stimulating academic environment, fostering critical thinking, and promoting interdisciplinary collaboration. It has a strong international presence, attracting students and researchers from around the world.
Job Sponsor(s): The Faculty of Law and Criminology at Ghent University
Host Institution(s): Ghent University in Belgium
Benefits: 100% occupancy rate
Job Type: Ph.D. Research Position
Number of Slots: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: International Students
Eligibility for the PhD Research Position (Faculty of Law and Criminology) at Ghent University:
- Applicants must have a master’s degree in Law or a relevant discipline.
- Applicants must have a passion for research and strong analytical skills.
- Applicants must be willing to familiarise themselves with interdisciplinary methodologies in health privacy research and follow the literature in bioethics, health and data protection law, and health informatics.
- Applicants must have an impressive track record (study results, publications, and/or awards)
- Applicants must be able to work independently and take initiative, yet you are also a team player.
- Applicants must have high organizational skills, and be able to meet deadlines.
- Applicants must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Applicants must have existing educational, research, or professional background in EU data protection law and/or health law.
Method of Application for the PhD Research Position (Faculty of Law and Criminology) at Ghent University:
- Motivation letter
- A writing sample (publication, research essay, master thesis, …)
- Copy of diploma
All required documents should be merged into 1 single pdf file.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2023.
For more information about this opportunity, Visit the Official Website.