Eira Francis Davies Scholarship 2022 at Swansea University
Today, we are glad to let you all know that the Applications for the Eira Francis Davies Scholarship are now open for September 2022 Entry. If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for this particular scholarship you can explore our other Scholarship opportunities for September 2022 Entry on our International Scholarships Page.
The Eira Francis Davies Scholarship is a full tuition fee scholarship ordinarily awarded to one outstanding female student per academic year. The student must be a national of and resident in an eligible developing country, who pursues a postgraduate taught Master’s program within the Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Science.
Eira Francis Davies was born on 17th March 1925 to parents Annie and David Davies in Glynneath, South Wales. Eira left Wales in her early adult life to working for The Society for The Overseas Settlement of British Women (S.O.S.B.W) in London as a Child Welfare Officer. The S.O.S.B.W was created in 1919 as part of the British government’s post-war adjustments to the economy to facilitate the migration of female workers to former white settler colonies. She traveled to Canada in Sept 1955 and upon her return to Britain in 1956, settled once more in her hometown of Glynneath as Assistant Director of Social Services for West Glamorgan.
Eira understood the value and transformative power of education; especially for women from countries whose economic, social, and cultural backgrounds might present challenges and barriers to the realization of their potential. As a woman of independent means, in 2012 Eira endowed a significant fund to Swansea University for the establishment of a Scholarship in her name. Her purpose was to help such women realize their potential, and in doing so lift both their community and home country.
Eira took a keen interest in the women that her scholarship sponsored. She followed their progress and their stories and enjoyed meeting them at the annual Scholarship Winners Dinner – although preferring to keep her identity hidden, she never revealed herself as their benefactor.
Eira Francis Davies passed away on 9th September 2020 aged 95. Swansea University proudly continues to support the Eira Francis Davies Scholarship is a testament to Eira’s legacy and extraordinary vision.
Country To Study: United Kingdom
School To Study: Swansea University
Course To Study: Not Specified
Application Deadline: May 29, 2022
Benefits of Swansea University 2022 Eira Francis Davies Scholarship
The Scholarship Programme is a full tuition fee scholarship
Requirements and Eligibility for Eira Francis Davies Scholarship 2022
1. hold a minimum 2:1 bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification.
2. have formally accepted an offer to study one of the following full-time, postgraduate taught Master’s programs at Swansea University for entry in September 2022:
- Biomedical Science (Clinical Biochemistry), MSc
- Biomedical Science (Clinical Microbiology), MSc
- Child Public Health, MSc
- Clinical Psychology and Mental Health, MSc
- Cognitive Neuroscience, MSc
- Genomic Medicine, MSc
- Healthcare Management, MSc
- Health Data Science, MSc
- Health Informatics, MSc
- Long Term and Chronic Conditions Management, MSc
- Medical Radiation Physics, MSc
- Nanomedicine, MSc
- Public Health and Health Promotion, MSc
- Research Methods in Psychology, MSc
3. Interested applicant must be a female.
4. Applicant must be a new student at Swansea University from September 2022.
5. within their application, demonstrate strong academic ability, financial plan to study, and motivation for their chosen course at Swansea University.
6. be a national, and permanent resident of an EFD Eligible Countries as listed by the World Bank Country and Lending Groups classification as being ‘low income’ or ‘lower-middle income’ as of 1 July 2021.
7. not receive any other financial support from Swansea University (e.g. tuition fee reduction, scholarship, or bursary).
8. not be a progressing student from The College, Swansea University.
9. Certificates of your previous education (first degree, school-leaving exams, etc.)
10. Letter of Recommendation
Interview date, Process, and Venue for Swansea University Eira Francis Davies Scholarship
All applications will be considered by a scholarship committee. Shortlisted applicants then may be invited to interview as part of the selection process.
Application Deadline: 11:59 pm (BST) Sunday 29th May 2022
Invitation to Interview: 17th June 2022
Interviewing period: 20th – 24th June 2022
Decisions: 4th July 2022
Interested and qualified? Click HERE to apply
For more details, visit SU website